Sunday, April 3, 2011

okay okay I'm not really dying


Okay so after my last post I received numerous emails/phone calls from my mother.
No, I am not only eating pizza and chick-fil-a the *entire time I marathon train. I'm eating yogurt and almonds every five seconds as well and fish and chicken here and there. But, yeah, the past two weeks, I *have been chowing down a loooot more than usual.....

And, no, apparently, marathon training is NOT the reason I am fatigued. Doesn't this completely negate my previous post?? Ha, I don't think so. It might be some nutrition, but the fatigue we discovered is *definitely hormonal. I am getting blood work done this week to check for anemia just in case. So, maybe marathon training isn't my problem? I definitely don't think I'd do another one with a baby in the house though.

Back to food--Is it me, or is it SUPER hard to stop eating like you're pregnant???
I say this 10 months post-pregnancy. Old habits die preeetty dang hard. The irony is, I have always usually been fairly healthy in eating habits, until I got pregnant and started eating for two. (Although, technically, you only really need a couple-few hundred calories more a day when pregnant, which is like a measly slice of bacon but nevermind that). So, I am re-comitting myself to good nutrition again. Starting today, I purchased three tubs of cottage cheese, which I loathe.

So there, mom.

Here are some past "Nutrition Notes" I took during one of my nutrition courses last year (Yes, I'm a nerd and keep all my notes). Am in Definite need of being reminded, so I"m posting here:

Top 11 Interesting Nutrition Facts I Learned in Grad School (keep in mind, this is verbatim ha)
"
1) Vitamins&Mineral supplements are not regulated by FDA whatsoever. Prof recommends we not take any at all, unless pregnant or in a severely poor state of health. If you feel like you *have* to take vitamins, generic brands usually have less chemicals and are healthier than name brands (she recommends HEB brands)


3) 60% of our produce comes internationally, and we inspect only 1% of this imported produce as of 2007. Do more research, and be mindful of fresh produce.


4) Frozen vegetables can be just as healthy as fresh, sometimes healthier, depending on when the vegetables were frozen. Be okay with buying frozen.


5) Microwaving vegetables with water preserves more nutrients than steaming or boiling many times, so it's better for you. Be okay with microwaving. (I will probably still steam broccoli)


6) Females especially need to be weary of dietary intake. We are supposed to eat similar nutrient %s as males but can have a fraction of the calories because of our higher body fat to maintain healthy proportions. So women need to really curb empty calorie intake ((guys too)) such as any sodas, table sugar, hard candies, molasses, brown sugar ((white coated with molasses)), butters ((though butter is healthier than margarine((I wrote this in 2009, might be different now because it changes every two seconds)), alcohols, even orange juice provides a ton of calories ((two oranges have the same amount of calories as one cup of OJ ((as in a CUP serving size not a glass-full)) and the two actual oranges provide 5X more calcium, 3X more riboflavin, 3X more iron with same calories. So women should eat *low energy foods, but dense foods.


7) You should switch brands of foods frequently. Just like shampoo with hair, using the same brand repeatedly can build up contamination, since each brand comes with its own contaminants ((this is FDA approved regardless of this))


8) A child's size meal at McDonalds is an actual adult serving size for foods. (and 1 chocolate shake at Mcd's =2 big macs, isn't that odd?)


9) 30min of exercise a day to maintain...60min to lose. However, does not have to be at once, walking to parking space, taking stairs, the exercise can be throughout the day. (This is different if you are nursing, and this is for adults ages 30-40)


10) UV exposure and stress significantly cause premature aging because it keeps telomerases (enzyme that elongates DNA after replication) to stop working and the DNA to shrink! DNA shrinking happens with age but we can shrink our DNA faster by stressing and being out too long in the sun.


11) Breads are NOT empty calories, they are great calories. Carbs are actually very good for you, depriving yourself of carbs is terrible on your liver, and typically those who lose weight on atkins gain it back right afterward, and are susceptible to gaining even more weight. Overall, don't stop eating carbs!
 "
Well, this was a random post. But, perhaps if anyone reads this, they will get good use out of  thousands of dollars wasted on grad school. Ha. Bitterness, much? :)

Truth is, I'd trade it all again in a heartbeat:)

1 comment:

  1. Great post, i like it "I'm not really dying"

    ReplyDelete