Wednesday, February 16, 2011

God's Lollipops


Came across my old college pastor's family's (that's a lot of "'s") blog today. Just had to share a recent post of Christine's:


"My bank teller must be a dad. 


Every time I go to the bank, he gives my children the exact same colored lollipops. I’ve never asked him to do this, but, without fail, he digs through the lollipop basket until he finds a matching set of Dum Dum lollipops. 

He must be a dad because he knows about the fight he is saving me. The one where each of my boys are eyeing the lollipops they don't have rather than enjoying the one they do. The one where they fight and whine for their favorite color. The one in which they are not satisfied until they have what their sibling has. 

So as I drive away from the bank window, I inwardly thank this man and think about this picture of human jealousy: envious, controlling, domineering, possessive, and self-focused.

God is not like my bank teller. 

He gives lollipops out to everyone, but He does not give equally or similarly. He gives perfectly, however, and until we trust that, we’ll be dissatisfied with what we’ve been given.
"

1 comment: